New authors, and experienced ones, too, occasionally need information about copyright infringement, scam publishers, self-publishing companies, literary agents and publishers, and legal terminology for agent-writers contracts.
I have had to deal with all of that during my years as an editor. Here’s what I’ve compiled as of January, 2018. It changes all the time (except the law).
Literary Agents, Acquisitions Editors,
- Guide to Literary Agents, 27th Edition, by Cris Freese. Writer’s Digest Books, 2018.
- Writer’s Market, 97th Edition, by Robert Lee Brewer. Writer’s Digest Books, 2018.
- I live in Texas, so this one interested me: http://www.bookpeople.com/small-independent-presses
- And this one seemed good: https://thejohnfox.com/2017/09/30-best-small-indie-literary-publishers/
(aka “somebody’s stealing your stuff”)
- Book Editing Associates lists websites, writers, and editors/editing companies who have plagiarized their sites: https://www.book-editing.com/copyright-violations.html
- Science Fiction Writers of American (SFWA) has a blog called “Writer Beware” that focuses on infringement or other legal issues:
I don’t necessarily recommend any of the companies listed (except Mill City Press and My Word Publishing), but the information and comparisons all have value. I included the list on Wiki because it breaks down the wording of the differences between these companies.
- Mill City Press, Maitland, FL: https://www.millcitypress.net/about
- My Word Publishing, Denver, CO: https://www.mywordpublishing.com/
- The Fine Print of Self-Publishing, “Everything You Need to Know About the Costs, Contracts & Process of Self-publishing,” by Mark Levine. Bascomb Hill Publishing Group, 2011.
- Top Self-Publishing Firms, by Stacie Vander Pol. Pacific Publishing Studio, 2011.
Do-it-yourself Books on Self-publishing
- How to Self-Publish Your Book Using Microsoft Word 2013 (A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing & Formatting Your Book’s Manuscript & Cover to PDF & POD … Including Those of CreateSpace), by Edwin Scroggins. Strawberry Lane, 2013.
- Dan Poynter’s Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book, Volume 2, by Dan Poynter. 2009. Para Publishing, 2012.
Note that one of the most important aspects of self-publishing is how you market your work for success. Neither of these address that issue.
Websites for Writers
Predators and Editors. I used to check out this site all the time if an author asked me what I knew about such-and-such publisher. The site is currently undergoing reconstruction.
Until then, I refer you to the following:
- GENERAL THOUGHTS—guidelines & tips on how to avoid scams
- The “water cooler” forums at Absolute Write
- Other forums you might find googling on writers’ forums, and googling for reviews on specific companies you might be considering to do business with
Note that the P&E/Critters Annual Readers Poll will run as usual in January.
Latest posts by Theodora Bryant (see all)
- Elements Of A Manuscript Critique - May 9, 2019
- Science Fiction Writing – Choosing a Sci-Fi Book Editor - April 4, 2019
- How To Pick Your Science Fiction Categories in Kindle Direct Publishing - February 8, 2019