How to Join Book Editing Associates
Updated August 27, 2019
Book Editing Associates needs GHOST WRITERS, COPY EDITORS, PROOFREADERS, and PUBLISHING CONSULTANTS with traditional and self-publishing experience.
The ideal candidate will be able to perform all levels of editing from development/substantive to copy editing and proofreading. Because definitions and levels of editing are often confusing and interchangeable, copy editing/proofreading is considered one category.
Copy editing/proofreading applicants must pass the find-the-errors proofreading test to be able to offer these services on our sites.
Professional ghost writers and copy editors needed for these categories:
- Spiritual / New Age
- Children (picture and chapter books)
- Paranormal Romance
- Women’s Fiction / Romance Novels
- LGBT (female)
APPLICATION AND BOOK LIST REQUIRED
Details and application below.
The matchmaking process:
Writers review our sites and select editors based on posted credentials. Network members work directly with clients, remain freelance/independent contractors, and are free to accept or reject submissions.
Network members must have at least 10 published titles (as editor/proofreader) to be posted in a category.
Entry test …
Qualified applicants will be sent a short copy editing and proofreading test. Developmental editors are not required to pass the proofreading test but all applicants in every category take the test. Failed tests are not marked and returned.
Many of our editors have been part of this freelance network for over a decade. Preference will be given to applicants who intend to commit long-term.
Do not respond if you are not an experienced editor, failed our tests within the past 2 years, cannot make a 1-year (minimum) commitment to the network, maintain a moderate/heavy editing workload from other sources, or do not meet these basic requirements:
- You must be 100% freelance (no day job).
- 5+ years of editing experience and a track record of published books that you have edited (traditional and self-published).
- Ability to check e-mail several times each day. Our policy is a 3-hour (max) response time during US work hours (e.g., 8a-5p central time zone).
- Consistent availability (Some categories are high volume. Do not apply if you tend to stay busy and are only looking for “fill in” work.)
- You must be based in the US..
Freelance editors in this network:
- must use written contracts/service agreements that specify the scope of the project, the cost per word/per page/per hour, and payment methods
- may only offer services related to the tests passed (e.g., developmental editors and writers who do not pass the copy editing or proofreading tests may not offer copy editing or proofreading services through this network)
- may not subcontract projects to other editors
No phone calls
Do not use the chat button
No trainees / entry-level
Applications without book lists will not be considered.