Book Author, Book Editor, and Publishing Consultant
Need a book editor? Self-publishing an e-book? Getting ready for submission?
Professional editing and writing services.
Lisa Balthazar is a publishing executive and editor with over 20 years’ experience in the industry.
Lisa was Editorial/Publishing Director for Golden Books, Price Stern Sloan-Penguin Random House, Intervisual Books, Gateway Learning Corp (Hooked on Phonics), and other established publishing houses.
As a writer Lisa has penned dozens of published books, was lead author on Amazon’s bestselling Writing Children’s Books for Dummies (Wiley, 2005,2013), and co-wrote the New York Times bestselling adult nonfiction hardcover, Fund Your Future (Berkley, 2002) with Julie Stav.
As an editor, Lisa has helped hundreds of writers make their books the best they can be. She has helped hundreds of writers hone their skills in the craft of writing. She is always a writer’s toughest critic but biggest cheerleader.
Do you have questions about:
• character development and character arc ?
• storyline and plot points ?
• drama and conflict ?
• pacing ?
• dialogue ?
• writing style ?
• effective transitions and chapter breaks ?
• grammar ?
• formatting ?
• any issues with your novel you might not be aware of ?
Lisa will revise and refine your book manuscript for both big picture and line edit issues.
Books Lisa has edited have sold to Tanglewood Books, Simon & Schuster, Penguin Random House, A&M Books, Kensington, and others. Books she has edited have won numerous awards and rave reviews from Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, Horn Book, and other trade publications. All the covers you see on this page are from books she has edited that have gone on to be published. Lisa is listed in Who’s Who, Who’s Who of American Women, and Who’s Who in the West.
Lisa offers read-throughs with evaluations, developmental editing, line editing, substantive editing, and copyediting. She also provides detailed critique letters specific to your manuscript upon request. She will edit your query letter for free with any of these services.
Contact Lisa to make your book the best it can be!
Client list, including award winners:
• WARNER BROS. product management of 2 storybooks, concept through printer-ready
• THE IMPROBABLE WONDERS OF MOOJIE LITTLEMAN by Robin Gregory, Mad Mystical Journey (edited)
• SUNRISE by Mike Mullin, Tanglewood Books (edited)
• ASHEN WINTER by Mike Mullin, sequel to ASHFALL, Tanglewood Books (edited)
• ASHFALL by Mike Mullin, Award-winning YA novel, starred Kirkus review 2011, 2011 New Voices Award, "Best Books for Kids 2011" from the Association of Booksellers for Children, NPR voted one of 10 Best YA novels of 2012 (edited, Tanglewood Books)
• FINANCE 101 FOR KIDS by Walter Andal (edited)
• 68 KNOTS: A Novel by Michael Evans, YA novel, School Library Journal wrote: "Teens who fantasize about being pirates should pick this one up." (edited, Tanglewood Books, 2010)
• CHENGLI AND THE SILK ROAD CARAVAN by Hildi Kang, Middle-grade novel (edited, Tanglewood Books, coming in October 2011)
• TWO MOON PRINCESS by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban, YA novel, School Library Journal wrote, "This is a strong title that will appeal to teens who like fantasy with adventure, romance, and strong female protagonists." (edited, Tanglewood Books, 2009)
• INSIGHT EDITIONS (spearheaded Disney and Dreamworks book projects)
• DISNEY (English Language Learning Program using Disney characters)
• TREASURE BAY (writing and editing phonics book series)
• THE SCARLET STOCKINGS TRILOGY: The Enchanted Riddle by Charlotte Kandel (Dutton Children's Books, Spring 2008)
• THERE'S AN EASTER EGG ON YOUR SEDER PLATE! Surviving Your Child's Interfaith Marriage, by Steven Carr Reuben, Ph.D. (Greenwood Publishing Group, 2007, edited)
• INTERVISUAL BOOKS/PIGGY TOES PRESS
• THE GO-TO GUIDE FOR GUYS: THE ABCs FOR EXPECTANT DADS by Todd Barrett Lieman (agented, Dalmatian Press, 2007)
• TANGLEWOOD BOOKS (Edited THE MICE OF BISTROT DES SEPT FRERES, 2006, and other YA titles, see above)
• MERRY LANE PRESS (Edited all children's titles for this new publisher in 2004, 2005, 2006)
• SIMON & SCHUSTER (Created books for)
• SILVER DOLPHIN/AMS (Created books for)
• THE RHINO WHO SWALLOWED A STORM by LeVar Burton (edited, Reading Rainbow)
• MY BROTHER THE DOG by Kim Williams-Justesen (edited, Tanglewood Books)
• DREAMSCAPES: A MEMOIR by Anthony Hopkins (edited, published to coincide with art show)
• CARTWHEEL/SCHOLASTIC (Created books for)
• ROBIN COREY BOOKS/RANDOM HOUSE BOOKS FOR YOUNG READERS (Wrote SAMMMY'S SUITCASE, 2008)
• SOUL AGREEMENTS by Dick and Tara Sutphen (Edited, Wiley, 2005)
• FOR THIS I AM GRATEFUL (Writing contributor, 2005, becker & mayer!)
• LEAH'S WAY by Richard Botelho (Edited, 2003, Windstream Press)
• THE DEVIL'S BROOD by Ellen Jones (Edited, third in a series of historical novels)
• ULTIMATE JUSTICE by Mimi L. Latt (Edited, 1999, Simon & Schuster)
• PURSUIT OF JUSTICE by Mimi L. Latt (Edited, 1998, Simon & Schuster)
• DISNEY INTERACTIVE (Creative consulting on development of “Princesses” CD-ROM, 1998)
• NEW AGE SHORT STORIES by Dick Sutphen (Edited, 1997, Valley of the Sun Publishing)
• BELOVED ENEMY by Ellen Jones (Edited, 1994, Simon & Schuster)
• POWERS OF ATTORNEY by Mimi L. Latt (Edited, 1993, Simon & Schuster)
Feedback / Testimonials
"After doing a ton of research for an editor who could help me transform my ideas and manuscript into a real book, I was fortunate to find someone who is very professional, honest, and sharp. Lisa Balthazar has guided me every step along the way in my first self-publishing venture. She is very thorough with the editing process. No matter how busy Lisa is with her demanding work and clients, she always finds a way to provide me with the right help and direction. I feel truly privileged to have worked with Lisa. I absolutely recommend her to all aspiring and seasoned authors!"
—Walter Andal – Author, Finance 101 for Kids, www.finance101forkids.com
"As the forward-thinking, collaborative, and inventive publishing executive, Lisa is never short of creative ideas and judicious insights. Her editorial notes are never short of astute and her writing is never short of stellar. Always the consummate professional, Lisa is simply the best."
—Debra Mostow Zakarin, published author, firstname.lastname@example.org
“Lisa edited my first novel. From her ability to parse the smallest line detail to her skill in editing content makes her one of the best in the business. She made me a better writer.”
—Mary Marks, published author of mysteries for Kensington Books
"Lisa did a masterful job editing ASHFALL—twice! I've placed the only exclamation point in these acknowledgments in her honor. She made my writing better than I believed it could be."
—Mike Mullin, published author, www.mikemullinauthor.com
"If you're seeking top quality services for your manuscript, look no further. Lisa is the Lamborghini of editing and proofreading. She gets right to the nitty gritty, locating the faint murmur of your book's heartbeat and bringing it to life with editorial blasts of insight and her proofreading defibrillator. Whether you need delicate polishing and refinement or a complete overhaul, Lisa is top notch. Her editing services are unsurpassed and guaranteed to satisfy your highest expectations."
—Scott Sussman, Publisher, Octopus Ink Press
"I really love working with Lisa. She’s an inspired, enthusiastic, and expert editor with superlative instincts. I owe her a tremendous debt of gratitude for helping turn my debut young adult novel into something special. THE IMPROBABLE WONDERS OF MOOJIE LITTLEMAN just got long-listed in the UK’S 2015 Bath Novel Award contest. Out of 806 entries from 41 countries, it made the list of 23. Alleluia! Thank you, Lisa!”
—Robin Gregory (2015)
"A very important process in publishing a children's book is the editing and continuity of the story and art. Lisa has been a treasure to us here at Merry Lane Press. She provides professional services and addresses everything from targeting language to the right age group to shaping the story for maximum impact. We also rely on her as a sounding board for reviewing potential new titles. We love working with her!"
—Alan Halpern, Publisher
"Signing up to work with Lisa turned out to be so much more than simply hiring an editor. Beyond corrections and valuable story insights, she guided me through formatting, developing query letters, and also offered up a full spectrum of industry resources. She opened my mind to the self-publishing industry and gave me the confidence to pursue my dream through to the final printed pages. I am amazed by her genuine interest in my career. She has been right by my side, cheering for me along the way. I come out of this with a printed book in hand, filled with the excitement to continue working with her on the books to come! Thank you, Lisa!"
—Lindsay Burroughs, author and illustrator of WASHED UP!
“I sent Lisa my children's book for a critique. What I received in return was not only very helpful commentary on my book, but a course in writing—plot, character, motivation, grammar, syntax, format as well. She is a virtual fount of pertinent information, not only about story, but the ins and outs of publication as well. Her editorial services are a source and a course wrapped into one accessible package. Thank you, Lisa!”
—Barbara LaSalle, EDWARD