Copy editor, APA editor, technical editor, fiction editor, developmental editor, proofreader, researcher, technical writer, business and marketing writer, and generalist
Linda Bennett has been an editor and writer for nearly 30 years, and she’s edited practically every type of writing. She is meticulous and obsessed with improving the quality of writing, even mentally editing newspaper articles, billboards, and signs at the grocery store. The English language can be intricate, arbitrary, fascinating, and frustrating all at the same time, and that complexity is what keeps Linda in love with her work.
Background and experienceLinda has provided developmental editing, APA editing, substantive editing, copyediting, and proofreading services to clients around the world:
- More than 50 dissertations for Ph.D. candidates
- More than 200 master’s theses and academic submissions for grad students
- Fiction and nonfiction for published authors, including novels, short stories, poetry, religion, and philosophy
- Business and marketing collateral for Fortune 500 companies
- More than 100 peer-reviewed articles for academic and scientific journals
- More than 35 IT books published by Sybex, Ventana, Macmillan, and Sage
- Research reports and surveys for government organizations
- Website content, business plans, corporate overviews, and case studies
An efficient, versatile, award-winning editor, Linda is an expert in APA and Chicago Manual styles, is experienced with MLA and AP styles, and is a member of the Editorial Freelancers Association.
Linda’s approach to editing
As a writer herself, Linda understands what it’s like to have another pair of eyes pick apart something you’ve worked hard to perfect. But a second pair of eyes offers a fresh perspective to ensure that what you’ve created is understandable, engaging, and well written.
Linda will handle your writing with care so it keeps the voice and tone you used when you wrote it, but she’ll always be honest and straightforward with you. If there are problems you need to address, she’ll make constructive comments and offer objective suggestions with professionalism and respect. If you need advice or direction, she’ll collaborate with you on the best way to accomplish your objectives. No matter what type of material you’ve written, Linda will polish your writing to perfection.
Types of writing Linda accepts for review
|Christian||Self-improvement||Journal articles||Website content|
|Young adult||Travel||Proposals||IT and networking|
|Horror||Health & lifestyle||APA formatting||Mobile technology|
Picking an editor from a website must feel like ordering something from a catalog you’ve never shopped from. You may be hesitant to choose a stranger based only on what you’ve read here. For that reason, Linda is happy to offer a short sample edit of your project for no charge, so you won’t be strangers when you contract with her.
Some of the books Linda has edited:Fiction:
- Majestic Descending by Mitchell Graham
- Confession of the Vampire by Kim Mathis Schwartz
- Kevin Murphy Takes on the Father of Lies by M.J. Smith
- Kevin Murphy: The Quest for Queen Grace’s Pardon Begins by Michael Smith
- Cutter, My Christmas Gift by Michael Smith
- Aurora in Cyberworld by Michael Smith
- Wiffen by Terry Parrish
- Dark Heart by Terry Parrish
- The Test of True Love by Jennifer Conway
- No Greater Love by Jennifer Conway
- The Anastasia Project by Loren Presley
- Everything Has Two Handles: The Stoic's Guide to the Art of Living by Ronald W. Pies, M.D.
- The Judaic Foundations of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy by Ronald W. Pies, M.D.
- Who’s Running Things Around Here Anyway? By Dianne Couris
- Gen Now: Understanding the Multi-Gen Workforce and the Coming Leadership Deficit by Lance Jensen Richards and Jason Morga
- You've Got The Look: The Complete How-To Celebrity Look-Alike Guide by Denise Bella Vlasis
- The Leadership Deficit: Recruiting and Retraining the Multi-Generational Workforce by Lance Jensen Richards and Jason Morga
- The Complete PC Upgrade and Maintenance Guide by Mark Minasi
- Build, Upgrade, and Repair Your PC Network on a Shoestring Budget by Wayne N. Kawamoto
- HTML Publishing on the Internet by Brent Heslop and David Holzgang
- Web Publishing with ActiveX Controls by Doug Lloyd
- Official HTML Publishing for Netscape: Your Complete Guide to Web Page Design & Production by Gayle Kidder and Stuart Harris
- MCSD: Analyzing Requirements and Defining Solution Architectures Study Guide by Ben Ezzell
- Internet Complete Mass Market Paperback by Sybex
- Mastering Microsoft FrontPage 2000 by Molly Holzsclag
- Mastering Microsoft Photodraw 2000 by Shane Hunt
Some of the academic content Linda has edited:
- Cyberbullying, K-12 Public Schools, And The 1st Amendment
- Music-based Services for Young People Experiencing Homelessness: Engaging Strengths and Creating Opportunities
- Job Satisfaction and Retention of Workers in Philippine Agribusiness Firms
- African American Fathers: Disproportionate Incarceration and the Meaning of Involvement
- The Effect of Psychosocial Stressors on the Mental Health Status of African American Caregivers of the Elderly
- Recovery and Posttraumatic Growth Following Childhood Adversity
- The Asian Economic Crisis: History, Causes, and Recovery Strategies
- Military-Related Posttraumatic Emotional Numbing
- An Exploration Of Content In Multifamily Psychoeducation Groups: The Impact Of Consumer Choice In A Flexible Curriculum
- Measurements, Macro-Modeling, and Applications of Current Dynamics in Complex Core Processors
- Facilitating Change in Medication Administration
- Teacher Perceptions of Their Preparedness to Instruct Students with Disabilities in Elementary Schools
- Understanding Families Impacted by Incarceration: Use of a Unique Data Source
- Housed but Homeless? Negotiating Everyday Life in a Shared Housing Program
- Sibling Connections and Reasonable Efforts in Public Child Welfare
- Away From Home: Paradoxes of Parenting for Mexican Immigrant Adults
- Intergenerational Ambivalence: Aging Mothers Whose Adult Daughters are Mentally Ill
- The Juggling Act: Managing Work-Life Conflict and Work-Life Balance
- Better Healthcare through Technology: Improving Patient Outcomes with More Personal & Responsive Care
- Overcoming Barriers to Adopting New Technology
- Social Media: Putting the Relations Back in Public Relations
Some testimonials from satisfied clients:
“Linda has been my go-to person for writing and editing services for more than 15 years. Her editing skills are exceptional; Linda can spot even the tiniest error or inconsistency and make problematic writing perfect. She is an excellent communicator and can write about any topic, effectively presenting complex information in writing that is compelling and easy to understand. She is professional, dependable, and a joy to work with. I highly recommend Linda for any writing or editing project.”
~ Stephen Lambeth, Business Relationship Lead, Jaguar Land Rover North America
“You do excellent work. Thanks for your comments as much as your editing. I greatly value your input and have learned a lot from your comments. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all the time, thought, and effort you put into editing Kevin Murphy. I have said it before but it bears repeating: the book is better in every imaginable way because of your help.”
~ Mike Smith, Author, Kevin Murphy and the Father of Lies
“Linda is great and knows APA and Capella standards extremely well. She was directly responsible for my maintenance of a 3.85 GPA on all of my graduate work and I strongly urge any serious graduate student to have her edit your final papers. My writing greatly improved with her help, and I could pay attention to my research without being bogged down by APA style issues.”
~ Bob Richardson, Ph.D., Senior Research Scientist, PepsiCo
“Linda possesses a rare combination of creative brilliance and clear-minded business savvy. For nearly 10 years, Linda directly managed client engagements for our company, an online writing and editorial services firm. From Fortune 500 companies to start-up web businesses, to individual authors, Linda never lost sight of the details that mattered most to our clients and she consistently exceeded their expectations. In addition to her impressive professional credentials, Linda brings a refreshingly vibrant personality and a tireless work ethic to every project.”
~ Michael Wist, Director of Operations at Ethos Content
“I have had the privilege to work with Linda three times and it was a fantastic experience. Her communication skills are exceptional and her valuable feedback is beneficial and extensive. Linda provides suggestions and insights that are valuable for future work. She clarifies my questions and concerns and helps me convey my messages. Linda goes above and beyond and the work is given a new clarity and refinement with Linda’s editing.”
~ Cindy Esmail, Ph.D. candidate, Loyola University
“Linda has edited several professional journal articles for me, one of which was subsequently accepted for publication. The article that was accepted had been previously rejected prior to having Linda edit it. She works quickly and competently.”
~ Walter Wessels, Professor of Economics
“The editing Linda did for our manual and course on financial speculation was quite excellent. The finished version looks amazing! I’m extremely happy with it.”
~ Michael Hein, The Financial Trading Group, Canterbury, Kent (UK)
“I tend to write in circles sometimes or overemphasize things, which can take away from the clarity. Linda’s expertise is awesome. I really appreciate her work and turnaround time. If anyone needs an editor, I'll be sending them her way.”
~ Ryan James, Ph.D. candidate, The George Washington University
“I've had the pleasure of working with Linda for more than 10 years. She's always been highly engaged and resourceful. She's capable of producing great content across a wide spectrum of requests – both technical and non-technical pieces. Working with her has been a pleasure and I'd highly recommend her work.”
~ Jason S. Morga, Vice President, Americas Marketing at Kelly Services
“We have worked with other vendors but we have found Linda’s quality to be quite good, and we want to continue to use her services where we have a need an editor for our more important projects.”
~ Tara Simms, Senior Editor, Thomson/West Publishers
“Linda has been an invaluable asset to Kelly's content development for more than 10 years. Her work product is excellent: cogent, well-researched, well-edited, and aligned with strategic direction. She can be counted on to deliver on her commitments and regularly provides value-add in terms of additional lines of thought or approaches to addressing the topic at hand. I would recommend Linda highly.”
~ Brian Tague, Marketing Director, B2B, Kelly Services, Inc.
“Linda has written a wide variety of marketing collateral for Crossgate including white papers, corporate overviews, marketing slicks, press releases, and industry publication articles. She is easy to work with and her work is consistently high-quality and dependable, effectively conveying technical concepts to a broad range of audiences. She is one of the best writers I have worked with in more than 15 years in the industry. I would recommend her for any white paper or marketing collateral project.”
~ Steve Sprague, Senior Vice President, Crossgate, Inc.
“Thanks, Linda, for your terrific work. Our white papers consistently turn out exactly as we hope they will. I would like to thank you for your great work.”
~ Amy Grundman, Public Relations Manager, Kelly Services, Inc.
“I have worked with Linda on many marketing writing projects, and she consistently delivered high-quality work, on time and on budget. She has a strong skill set in writing and editing, and was a real pleasure to work with. I would definitely recommend her services.”
~ Donna Tarlton, Global Customer Reference Manager, Symantec
“I want to thank Linda for the excellent quality of the writing and editing she provides for our magazine. She is skilled and knowledgeable, and the articles she provides always receive favorable comments from our readers. Her research is very detail-oriented and thorough and she is able to meet our tight schedules without compromising quality. I highly recommend her services.”
~ Paul Byles, CEO, Cayman Financial Review Ltd.
“Your writing is wonderful! Our VP said that it was the first time he’s not had to edit anyone’s writing, and he is extremely impressed with your skill. Thank you so much for your tremendous help. I don’t know if we could have done it without you. You wrote a beautiful presentation on our behalf and I know that it helped a great deal in our winning the Urban Land Institute Award.
~ Nancy Smith, Caruso Affiliated Holdings, Los Angeles, CA
“Your work was professional, courteous, timely, and high quality. Please do not hesitate to use me as a reference; we know the corporate marketing assignment we gave you was not an easy one and we were extremely pleased with the work you did for us.”
~ Chris Paul, Director of Account Services, Thrust Design Group, New York City, NY
Linda Bennett: Copy editor, fiction editor, nonfiction editor, Christian editor, APA editor, dissertation editor, developmental editor, and general documentation specialist.